Comfort in a Cup

December 18, 2013

Here is the first of four new cupcakes that appear in the second Dowser book, Trinkets, Treasures, and Other Bloody Magic. Which, BTW – nine days ahead of schedule – is now available over on Amazon (because Amazon rocks – ha!)

Comfort in a CupBanana Cake Buttercream Icing

Three more cupcakes to come!

ETA: Jen just asked in the comments if the cake could be baked in cake pans. The answer is yes. All the cake recipes posted to the blog can be baked in cake pans instead. The icing recipes also yield enough to ice a cake.

Directions I gave Jen: Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre). Cool for about ten minutes, then pop the cake out of the pans. I have this trick where I line the cake pans with parchment paper (I trace the cake pan on the paper then cut out a circle). I grease and flour the pan, but then I lay the parchment in as well (then pour in the batter). After you bake and cool the cake, you gently run a knife around the edges, and pop out the cake – easy peasy – then peel off the parchment paper.

1. December 18, 2013 12:00 PM

Reblogged this on dyke writer.

2. December 18, 2013 1:55 PM

Would I be correct in thinking this sounds like banana bread with buttercream icing? I adore banana bread, and buttercream icing would be perfect with it! I’ll have to see about giving this recipe a try: sounds delicious! 🙂

• December 18, 2013 2:03 PM

That’s totally what these are!! Though slightly less dense. I use the whole wheat but white flour or unbleached would work too. Wait until you see the Cozy in a Cup’s – OMG, they’re my favourite of this new batch and just a slight variation on these ones.

• December 18, 2013 2:24 PM

This is probably a silly question, but I’m not much of a cook or baker, so I honestly don’t know…Can the recipes be used to make a cake (in a cake pan) rather than cupcakes (in a cupcake pan)? I’d like to give this one a try, and think it might be easier for me to handle if I can make it as a cake. 🙂

• December 18, 2013 2:37 PM

Totally! Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean from the centre). Cool for about ten minutes, then pop the cake out of the pans. I have this trick where I line the cake pans with parchment paper (I trace the cake pan on the paper then cut out a circle). I grease and flour the pan, but then I lay the parchment in as well. After you bake the cake, you gently run a knife around the edges, and pop out the cake so easy, then peel off the parchment paper. Also the icing recipe yields enough to ice a cake as well.

3. Gertie permalink
    December 18, 2013 2:00 PM

Yum!!

• December 18, 2013 2:04 PM

Gertie – whenever I post I always feel badly because I never have anything even remotely near vegan for you!!

4. Catherine T. permalink
    December 18, 2013 2:02 PM

Gahh! If only bananas didn’t correspond so highly to my bug bite rate, I would totally make this. I suppose it won’t stop me from trying one, if it were handed to me though ;).

• December 18, 2013 2:08 PM

Well, if someone is just going to hand it to you … why not? LOL. Hopefully, Catherine, you don’t have any issues with 2 of the 4 variations in the book. Of course, there are always the good old standbys of Lust or Love in a Cup. I mean everybody loves Sex in a Cup, no?

Oh, man, sometimes I think I’m just SO funny.

Trackbacks