A Drive-by, link-filled, FYI post:
This is some of my research into self-publishing so far:
On the Web
- The Newbie’s Guide to Publishing (selected chapters)
- Smart Self Publishing: Becoming an Indie Author – I highly recommend
In my Queue:
- Do The Work – not specifically related to self-publishing, but the next release from the Domino Project and hopefully motivational!
Waiting for library copies:
- Perfect Pages – want to read Aiming (link above) before I purchase this.
- Amanda Hocking – I’ve been following Amanda’s self-publishing success story with much interest and took the time to read her young adult trilogy, Trylle. The books were interesting enough to hold my attention long enough to read all three, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them unless you are a true fan of the genre (young adult paranormal).
- Michelle Demers – Michelle, a local Vancouver author, just self-published her book Baby Jane. And I hope to read the book very soon and then pick her brain over lunch next week!
I have also looked into the possibility of hiring someone to proofread and do the layout, but feel confident enough to tackle the cover design myself.
I want to look professional, but this is, as all independents are (unless you are George Lucas), a shoestring budget sort of thing. It’s a balance of time and $$. Could I write another novel in the time it might take me to learn how to do all this myself? Perhaps (though hopefully this isn’t going to take THAT long!!). On the other hand, I think it is good to know the hoops even if you don’t plan to jump through them all by yourself.
Anything I’ve missed, so far, that you would consider recommended reading?