A writing break on a Monday

August 24, 2015

I’m currently writing the first draft of I See You (Oracle 2). Life has been crazy – we are moving. Yes, again – but I’m still managing to eke out about 2000 words every day.

Writing – as opposed to brainstorming, which I live and breath – needs fuel and focus. Not enough fuel, and I lose focus quickly. So I try to enforce mini breaks when I feel weary or distracted. I could push through, and I do so when time is crunchy. But it’s better if I don’t. An unfueled MCD is not a pretty sight. Such days usually devolve into ranting, then weeping. Generally over things that do not require yelling or tears.

This is my break today. Only two chocolates remain from my second to last forage at Chocolate Arts. They look at little worn – perhaps they’ve been bashed about in the stash drawer – and I can’t remember what kind they are, but I know I’m going to love every nibble.

chocolates from chocolate arts

ETA: The Chocolate Arts website has helpfully reminded me that I indulged in a Framboise (rectangle) – single origin, intense dark chocolate with fruit and acidic overtones – while writing this blog post. And will luxuriate in a Cleopatra – caramel ganache, surrounding a caramel cream with a roasted organic hazelnut in a dark chocolate shell – right after I hit publish.

What fuels you on a draggy Monday?

1. gina permalink
    August 24, 2015 6:05 PM

That’s a really good question…. especially after working all weekend. If I was near one, a Toffee Nut Latte would likely do wonders.

• August 24, 2015 8:48 PM

It’s good to treat yourself. It doesn’t have to be food based, of course. But that is a different blog post. 🙂 I hope you get some time off through the week now!

2. August 24, 2015 7:21 PM

Reblogged this on Nina's Soap Bubble Box and commented:
    Have you found any problems with your script software post Windows 10?

3. Barb Oswald permalink
    August 24, 2015 9:07 PM

I promise myself I will make time to indulge in my hobby of soaping. Tonight it was two new fragrances, ginger milk and vanilla musk. Can’t wait until tomorrow to check what colors and scents come out.

• August 24, 2015 9:16 PM

I’m a vanilla fiend. Vanilla musk is interesting, more manly then? It is so important to have hobbies to balance life. I knit, a lot.

4. August 25, 2015 6:36 AM

.OMG! Now I want a Cleopatra. Sounds sooo good! My Mondays usually start off like any other day. With a big hug and kiss from my hubby, and breakfast. But what really starts my day is seeing the big smile on my grandsons face when we pick him up after school. Then later at night I love snuggling up in bed with my husband and a good book, preferably one of yours, or a good cozy mystery, and nibbling on a piece of chocolate l

• August 25, 2015 9:49 AM

It was really good … but not as good as a smile from a grandson, I imagine! Have you read Carol Ann Newsome’s Dog Park Mysteries? I haven’t yet, but I’m sharing a booth with her for the Bookcon in Chicago in May 2016.

5. August 30, 2015 3:32 PM