A completely incomplete list of MCD’s favourite books

November 13, 2017

I often get asked about my favourite books/series/authors, specifically in the urban fantasy genre (which I read almost exclusively these days). And since I find myself repeating myself a lot – I’m a rather loyal reader – I thought I’d start a list here, then add to it as it becomes necessary.

Favourite authors:

Authors who I preorder the instant I know they have a new book coming, and who I reread. The links below lead to book one of the series on Amazon.com (simply replace the .com with .ca or .co.uk to find the book in your region).

Ilona Andrews – Kate Daniels (Magic Bites), Hidden Legacy (Burn For Me), and my favourite (by a terribly slim margin), The Innkeeper Chronicles (Clean Sweep).
Patricia Briggs – Mercy Thompson (Moon Called) and Alpha & Omega (Cry Wolf).
Faith Hunter – Jane Yellowrock (Skinwalker) and Soulwood (Blood of the Earth).
Kalayna Price – Alex Craft (Grave Witch).
Kelley Armstrong – my current favourite are the Casey Duncan thrillers (City of the Lost), but also any of her Otherworld novels, including the YA offshoots, starting with Bitten. Kelley gets bonus points for being a fellow Canadian. 😀

Favourite series:
The Dresden Series by Jim Butcher (Storm Front)
Terry Pratchett – any Discworld book with witches in the lead POV with Wintersmith being my favourite. I own but find myself unable to read, The Shepherd’s Crown, which was published after Terry passed away. I got to a certain plot point, lost it, and had to put the book away so I could continue to function in my every day life.
Sookie Stackhouse (Dead Until Dark) by Charlaine Harris – one of my first entry points into ‘modern’ urban fantasy. Though I haven’t read the last three or so books yet.

Influential books/series/authors:
William Gibson – his sci-fi Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer). The character of Molly Millions has definitely influenced how I perceive/write/create my own superhero females. I’m also a big fan of Pattern Recognition (just adding that link makes me want to reread it).
Stephen King – favourites: The Talisman, The Stand and more.
Jane Austin – Pride & Prejudice and more.
Anne Rice – all of her early books, starting with Interview with a Vampire (of course!! and probably goes without saying). But I also really enjoyed The Mummy.

******

What are some of your favourites?

1. Melissa permalink
    November 13, 2017 4:07 PM

Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne. The Others series by Anne Bishop. Valor series by Tanya Huff (and her older stuff). Alchemist/kingmaker/etc. by Honor Raconteur. Demon Touched series by John Conroe.

I also will get the audible version to listen to when i am driving or cleaning the house, another way to re-read.

• November 13, 2017 5:07 PM

Yes! I need to actually try an audiobook (not just listen to samples).

2. Melissa Baade permalink
    November 13, 2017 4:50 PM

Well OTHER than MCD’s amazing series, I love reading Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunter series … enjoy the steamy bits, along with mythology thrown in the bloody battle mix.

3. Debra Byrd permalink
    November 13, 2017 4:56 PM

I love all those books by Meghan Ciana Doidge!!!!

4. November 13, 2017 5:09 PM

For a lighthearted and fun read I adore Katie MacAlister! A fellow Pacific Northwesterner, her dragon series is my favourite b/c of Jim the demon who likes to go about in the form of a Newfoundland dog. I know, sounds ridiculous, but it will keep you laughing from beginning to end and you will fall in love with the characters. Also really enjoying the Virals series by Kathy Reichs (the Bones author). This is her YA books and while not paranormal, they do involve the kids gaining certain ‘powers’ and are a real thrill ride. These are smart kids! Love the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward and The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness left me wanting more. Always so excited to read others lists to add more books to my must read list!

5. Megan Hayes permalink
    November 13, 2017 6:10 PM

I just got the first Sookie Stackhouse book! I adore Anne Rice and all of her books. I love yours of course. I’ve read a couple of Kelley Armstrong’s series and enjoyed them I need to check out your favorite

6. Erin Wilson permalink
    November 13, 2017 6:53 PM

I have been looking for more humor in my reading lately and really love the Aisling Grimlock books by Amanda Lee. I am also waiting impatiently for the next book in The Vegan Vampire series by Cate Lawley. Darynda Jones and her Charley Davidson series have taken a darker story line, so I am giving those a break for awhile. I also really like Katie MacAlister as someone mentioned earlier.

7. Kari Newman permalink
    November 13, 2017 7:26 PM

Deborah Harkness the All Souls trilogy, MCD of course, Anne Rice- everything!

8. Jessa S permalink
    November 13, 2017 9:05 PM

I agree on most of yours and will pick up the rest for a try. Thanks for the recommendations. I’ve recently become a big fan of Shayne Silvers (obsidian son) and am now reading Orlando Sanchez (tombyards and butterflies). And I’m eagerly awaiting the third installment of Curse of the Gods, joint work by Jaymin Eve and Jane Washington. They have some great snark and one liners with some romance a- brewing.

9. November 14, 2017 5:00 AM

Of course your books 😉

Then, in no order:-
    All Robyn Peterman Zahn.
    Darynda Jones, Charley and Darklight.
    J. R. Ward BDB series.
    I’ve read and re read all my Terry Pratchett. I struggled with the last one too, I took months to read it as I knew I’d not have the pleasure of any more.
    Charlaine Harris. Midnight Texas, Sookie and Harper series.
    Kathy Reiches. Piers Anthony, Angela Roquet, James Patterson, Patrica Cornwell, Dakota Cassidy.
    This is my ‘main’ go to lot, but I do read lots of others too lol.

10. Tim permalink
    November 14, 2017 5:14 AM

The Kutherian Gambit series by Michael Anderle. This guy puts out a new book every other month and they are a fun read. Oh yeah, $3.99 ea. This is a vampire series that starts on Earth and ends up in space series. And he has omnibuses for the first 15 books. He also partners with other authors to expand the series in different directions. It is well worth the investment in time.

• Tim permalink
      November 15, 2017 4:46 PM

Meghan,
      I really think you would like this series. Good against evil. A defined enemy. A female lead. Well written, although some of the spin off books aren’t great, they are fun.

• November 16, 2017 11:30 AM

I’ll check it out. I believe I have the sample pages for at least one book on my Kindle app already.

11. Amy F permalink
    November 14, 2017 5:43 AM

Everything on your fav list is on mine too!
    I’ll add Kim Harrison,everything she’s written, Kevin Hearne:Iron Druid Series and his new One, Plague of Giants.
    Lila Bowen’s Trilogy, Tad Wiliams, Weiss and Hickman, Elizabeth Moon ,George RR Martin, really wish he’d finish Song of Ice and Fire, Kate Elliott, Laurel K. Hamilton,Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind, Dean Koontz,Peter Orullian,You! Ofcourse,lol. Many many more,will stop here, or I’ll have written my own book,lol.

12. Malissa Phillips permalink
    November 14, 2017 1:25 PM

I love anything Anne Rice and Stephen King. I grew up reading them, very formative for me, also the Shanara Chronicles, Magic Kingdom for Sale – Sold and etc… The Dresden Files, Discworld, any of the Charlaine Harris Series’, add in The Daughters of Dark Root by April Aasheim, anything Sherrilyn Kenyon. Honestly I just love to read. I also have to say that your series’ have made it to my top faves list as well. I love your books. I have read everything current in the dowser series, all of the Oracle Series, and am currently reading Catching Echoes. I also read most of the marvel series comics as a kid, so I am a huge marvel fan and the classics (hemmingway, dickens, Austen, and Bronte are some of my favorite classic writers) and the sherlock holmes novels.

13. Tim permalink
    November 15, 2017 5:54 AM

Ilona Andrews Magic series is great
    Faith Hunter Jame Yellowrock is very good
    Patricia Briggs Mercy and Alpha series are really good
    Elizabeth Hunter – Elemental Mysteries and follow up series are good reads
    Larry Correia – Monster Hunter Series (Wrong audience?)
    Jim Butcher – Dresden Files is fantastic